Can you drink rubbing alcohol?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

NO! Rubbing alcohol is actually "wood alcohol". [Wood alcohol is Methanol, not Isporpyl Alcohol, which is what is typically considered "rubbing alcohol"]. Not at all the same as "grain alcohol" which is what is in alcoholic beverages. Wood alcohol can cause blindness or even death. Bad idea. You can have HORRIBLE intestinal pains, liver damage, other physical problems then probably a slow, horrible death.
ALSO
If you do some research you will find that one of the components that Isopropyl alcohol breaks down into is acetone in your body, essentially you are drinking a poison which turns into a different poison (fingernail polish remover). You will have severe gastric distress with comsumption which will not be at all a pleasant experience.



The LD50 for isopropanol is around 15 grammes for a 70kg adult. It's metabolised to acetone, which is, however, only mildly poisonous, so i don't know why it's as toxic as it is. It's not wood alcohol, which is methanol, but is made using sulphuric acid and the petrochemical propene, a gas.
Answer
Rubbing alcohol is not wood alcohol, or methanol (which makes you blind at 10mL and dead at 30mL). It is simply an alcohol that is vaporized at a higher temperature than ethanol or drinking alcohol. It is not safe to drink by any means, but you dont need sulphuric acid to make it, or petrochemical propane. It can be produced by vaporizing a fermented alcohol at above 82oC. As said before, it can kill you or cause heavy liver damage. dont do it!
82 people found this useful

Is rubbing alcohol safe for drinking?

\n. \n NO! NEVER! \n. \n. \nNo! Alcohol that is 'safe' for humans is ethanol. Rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol are combined with other alcohols such as methanol

Can you get drunk from drinking rubbing alcohol?

Rubbing alcohol is extremely poisonous and if ingested it will lead to headaches nausea, vomiting, anesthesia and coma. Above is good answer. Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl

What will drinking rubbing alcohol do?

It will either kill you or make you very, very ill. Symptoms depend on the exact chemicals in the product. Rubbing alcohol is usually isopropanol, but it may instead contain m

How much rubbing alcohol is deadly if you drink it?

Any amount is dealdly as it is not an edible product whatsoever. Although can be severely damaging. . Any amount is dealdly as it is not an edible product whatsoever. Althoug

What happens to your insides if you drink rubbing alcohol?

rubbing alcohol is not the same as any regular "grain" alcohol.rubbing alcohol is also known as "wood" alcohol and drinking it isa BAD IDEA. the isopropanol which is thus cons

What happens if someone drinks rubbing alcohol?

Well I remember my stepmother who was an alcoholic once drank some. and she had a stroke and had to be put in a resthome. if I can remember. I don't think she could even walk.

Will you die from one drink of rubbing alcohol?

It is possible, but unlikely. Isopropyl alcohol is diluted withwater, so you would have to drink more than a few ounces. You mightalso vomit it back up before it was absorbed.